Monday, July 28, 2014
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Thursday, July 17, 2014
Don't expect Bil Underdown to shake your hand or anything.
You either are or you aren't.
"Are you made of metal or marshmallow fluff?" he wants to know.
You know he's looking at you.
Thunderdown represents the first of a trio of trials that earn an intrepid rider a position in the Order of Bill Underdown. To enter the ranks the following must be completed at this month's events, a comprehensive test of the aspirants gumption in the fields of single-track, gravel and feasting:
- Complete 30 or more miles in the Thunderdown in the Underdown.
- Finish Bill Underdown's Roubaix-style Group Ride on July 26th.
- Finish the 20-inch Spread Billy Burger* at Fork Horners on the same day.
Those seeking a challenge that will not thrice push them to the breaking point may find a scaled-down, but still noble quest in the Norbie Challenge:
- Complete 20 or more miles at the Thunderdown.
- Finish the Fork Horners 47 on July 26th.
- Finish the Norbie Burger** on the same day.
*The Billy Burger consists of 3 succulent half-pound beef cakes with bacon and a pound of fries.
** Just a pound of meat.
Induction ceremonies and medallions should not be expected, but rest assured that those who are up to the challenge will forever hold a position of high esteem among their peers.
- As of Tuesday the race course was clean with some polish added to a few ninja trails.
- After pre-rides, the estimated fast lap is 1:10 for the long course and :45 for the short course.
- Camping is available on site for a small fee.
- Trail passes will be covered as part of your entry fee so you won't have to worry about that.
- The weather looks perfect! 70's and dry.
- An aid station with Heed, Hammer Gel, water and maybe even cookies will be at the point where the long course (from trail M) and short course (from trail X) merge about 4 miles from the finish.
- The long course will have self-serve water just past half-way on trail G.
- Wilhelm from Harmcycle will be providing neutral technical support for racers in need.
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
- As of today, the race course is about half mowed and will be done soon. Tom, Kelly, Jason, Ted, Pat, Paul and I will have it all done by early next week. I'm sure Steve will be back at it as soon as he's off the IR. Trail intersections will be marked by the 12th.
- Group ride at 10AM on July 12th.
- New Gary Barden Design pints for the top 3!