Paul, Riley and Joe came out today to help install boardwalks and clean up after logging. KK is now in top shape and the Heartbreak Ridge climb on trail N is ready to ride. Most of the Hollow trail (X and M) if cleaned up with some nice little improvements.
This means that all trails are cleaned up and ready for some great rides except for L and LL which will be tackled in June with a great rebuild of a big downhill.
June 13th will be the last big work day this year. Meet where the Ice Age Trail crosses the east side of Loop Road by the Homestead. The effects of logging will make it obvious where the work is.
Thursday, May 7, 2015
Trails are getting cleaned off this week and are over half done. Sunday the 10th we'll be working on cleaning up after the west side log job starting about 9AM. We'll start on KK and work over the Heartbreak Ride on the Ice Age Trail to the Hollow Trail (M and X) to the trail G downhill off Round Top. See the yellow line on Joe's funky map.
Sunday, May 3, 2015
Steve helped get it going yesterday, and today Benji, Beth, Paul and Riley helped finish some fun upgrades to Oktoberfest. The trail is so dry that it needs the rain. Next week we tackle the trail around the hollow and KK where the tread took some beating from logging equipment. We'll cover a lot of ground because the loggers were fairly gentle, and we might have time for upgrades.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Weather looks to be cooperating with an on schedule opening day.
- April 15th Brian saw a cougar by the Underdown on 51.
- May 1st Trails Open
- May 3rd Sunday Work Day on Oktoberfest and maybe trail U. Meet at Underdown lake between 9AM and noon and head up the hill. (Great re-routes are roughed out on the hill top.)
- May 10th Sunday Work Day (Remember Mom, but come on out in the morning for a little fresh air. Trails X, KK and the rest of the west side logging job.)
- May 16th Ice Age Trail Wildflower Hike. Meet at the west end of Loop Road little parking lot for a hike to Dog Lake and back. 10AM
- May 23rd Bear 100 in Laona
- May 31 RASTA Rally at Washburn
- June Repairs of Trail L Ice Age Trail and the east side log job.
Oktoberfest is clear of sticks, etc. Let me know if you'd like to take the leaf blower for a hike elsewhere.
Sunday, March 15, 2015
It's likely that we won't be back in the Underdown until May. Stay tuned for some projects that some might consider fun:
- Clean up the log job on trail L.
- Rebuild the steep downhill at the end of trail L into something amazing.
- Touch up trail LL.
- Rebuild the top of the Oktoberfest Climb (S) and descent.
- Finish re-opening the Hollow trail (M and X) following the log job.
- Check over trail U.
- Open collarbone corner for summer and clean up the log job on KK.
Thursday, March 5, 2015
Wednesday, March 4, 2015
- Dog lake is still a good fat bike ride after that little snow. Some drifting and a blown down tree are all that's in the way, but a little maintenance is planned.
- Ski trails are skied in mostly and will likely be groomed before the weekend.
- Snowshoe trails are pretty, but the Long Bog back from Mist Lake will be blown over in spots.