Sunday, December 18, 2011
Monday, December 5, 2011
Sometime around Christmas the trails will be knocked in and signed. Of course, keep bikes and snowshoes off of the ski trails.
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Friday, October 21, 2011
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Monday, October 3, 2011
The Northwoods Chapter of the Ice Age Trail Alliance is honoring Phil Schaefer for his tirelss efforts in the development of the miles of cross county ski trails in the Underdown Recreation Area in Lincoln County and for his volunteer work on the Ice Age Trail. The Aldo Leopold style bench has been placed along the Ice Age Trail overlooking beautiful Mist Lake. The dedication will take place on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 10:00 a.m at the bench site. The Schaefer family will be presented a commorative plaque honoring Phil. The dedication site is one half mile from the Mist Lake Access parking lot and will require a half hour hike on a fairly level logging road. Plan to be at the parking lot at 9:30 a.m.. The Mist Lake access road leaves Horn Lake road. For detailed directions contact Tom Goltz at 715-675-6743 or Chris Schotz at 715-873-4113. The public is invited to share in the memories of Phil's contributions.
Sunday, October 2, 2011
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
- Octoberfest clean-up with some sweet new switchbacks
- Re-route trail T connector from U with some cool rollers
- Berm up trail U in the clear cut
- Extend trail J past the Homestead with about 10 more turns & berms.
- Ghost Ride
- Rhinelander vs. Wausau Capture the Flag or something like that
- Night Polo
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Monday, August 15, 2011
Friday, August 5, 2011
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Sunday, July 3, 2011
In a momentous group effort the crew from Rhinelander took the 2011 Thunderdown Cup home to reside at Bikes N Boards. 14 hodags logged a total of 295 miles on a beautifully hot day. Wausau riders accumulated a total of 116 miles and were left shaking their heads in awe at the tenacity of hodags on tough trails.
A new Cup will be commissioned for 2012. Word has it that the Duluth boys will roster up next year as long as Eki can convince Charlie that conditions aren't too perfect in the Underdown. Those boys love a good, long fight in foul weather, and they don't mind a little hamburger butt either.
A couple things I learned this year regarding next year:
1. This course is long enough! I think I've found the sweet spot with this year's format. Though there is a nice symmetry to a 25 mile lap, I'm starting to think that adding 9 miles that didn't make the cut this year might be the end. On a course that long I may never see you again.
2. People like cold water on course. Expect more bottles on ice next year.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
"16 mile" course (10 solo, 10 duo, 6 solo): Marked in Green. Much like last year minus Mist Lake and trail V.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Saturday the 11th we'll be out putting in bridges by Dog Lake and a switchback on trail X. 9AM wouldn't be too early. Usual digging tools are all we'll need.
- Camping is available on site for a reasonable fee.
- Underdown has about 100 feet of climbing per mile.
- The nearest sandy beach is Tug Lake.
- Group pre-ride June 25th @ 10AM.
- Getting to Underdown
- Turn in Thunderdown Cup rosters before 4PM race day. Hodags sign-up with Al. Wausau still needs a captain who won't be at a music festival on race day.
Monday, May 30, 2011
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Sunday, April 24, 2011
- Leaves off in May.
- New bridges in June.
- Racing in July.