The last of the snowshoe trail signs were retrieved today. On a frozen morning the trails are sidewalks with few ice patches best for boot hiking, ice biking, and crust snowshoeing. Ski trails all have snow and should soften as the day goes on.
Saturday, March 23, 2013
A beautiful day and a lot of snow. Snowshoeing from Turtle Lake Road to Highway B on the Ice Age Trail is tough.
Underdown ski trails are perfect - fast but not too icy yet. Loop Road has a fast track for skating. Snowshoe trails are solid for fat bikes.
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
- Whatever that means.
- Underdown got even more snow, and it will still be hanging around in April. Ski trails were all groomed for classic skiing today.
- Snowshoe trails have tracks all the way around the Mist Lake loop, and lakes are all very solid.
- I predict that the Ice Age Trail from Turtle Lake Road to Highway B will have a well established track by noon on Saturday. The RASTA gravel ride is called off, but there should be some interesting fat biking by Good Friday.
Friday, March 15, 2013
- On Monday the Underdown got 6 inches of snow that has now settled substantially. Ski trails were groomed today including a nice skate lane around Loop Road.
- Snowshoe trails have tracks at least around the Big Bog loop. Dog Lake will be a nice hike, but the Mist Lake loop has no signs and possible slush.
- Somehow Steve rode the 9Zero7 to Dog Lake today. It must have been very tough. Fat biking should be great by Sunday and buried again on Monday. I'm riding dirt roads and snowmobile trails.
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Sunday, March 3, 2013
Friday, March 1, 2013
- Underdown trails are in perfect condition right now, just in time for things to melt. Ski trails were all groomed today including a firm skate path around Loop Road.
- Snowshoe trails are well established and firm. Steve already rode a couple fat bike laps around the race course to Dog Lake today. An owl was hanging out there tonight. Mist Lake could get ridden this weekend, but more likely Sunday night than Saturday morning. Fat bike gatherings go at 11 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. I retrieved the signs from the Mist Lake loop because I don't know when I'll get another chance.
- By the way, my brother ran the Mist Lake loop in 1:45 last weekend which has to be some kind of record. I've hardly hiked it in under 3:00. The bike record is 1:15, but that won't happen this weekend. With luck the trail will be a sidewalk next weekend.
- The Beaver Trail area in Harrison has two loops over 13 lakes established for snowshoe, fat bike, and back country skiing. Find the lake 4.8 miles north of J on Turtle Lake Road.